PROMOTING YOUR COMPANY OR ORGANIZATION
If you're promoting your company or organization, a good approach is to tie what you are doing to something in the news or arrange some kind of event with a charity.
Then, seek to get the following:
- an interview with yourself or others in your company or organization
- the press to cover your event.
Some of the strategies to use include the following:
- Call your local media yourself or with the help of an in house assistant or professional PR person.
- Send a query letter or press release about what your company or organization is doing that is especially newsworthy or ties in with something in the news.
- Target the editors who might be interested in what your company or organization is doing based on the beats they cover. Unless this is a topic in the news, generally target editors who cover your field, as well as general business editors and possibly feature and lifestyle samples.
- Invite the media to attend a special event you are organizing; tying in with one or more charities can help you in gaining press interest. If you are pitching yourself as an expert based on what your company or organization does, take the following into consideration:
- Tie your company, organization, or yourself as an expert into something in the news.
- Promote yourself as an expert who can comment on that topic because of what your company or organization does.
Ideally, create a 1-3 minute video about your company or organization which you can put on your website or YouTube and include a link in your query or press release.
You can send out a query letter or press release to thousands of contacts in the media yourself or work with a publicist who can do a more personal targeted campaign to selected media.
For more details, see the books: The Complete Guide to Doing Your Own PR or The Complete Guide to Using LinkedIn to Promote Your Business or Yourself, or set up a consultation on creating a campaign for yourself.
To send your query letter to thousands of media contacts, use our affiliate company, the PR and Networking Connection . If you want a PR person to make the initial contact or follow-up for you, we work with a few PR pros in L.A. and can refer you.